Current:Home > StocksKing Charles III Shares Support for Kate Middleton Amid Their Respective Cancer Diagnoses -文件: temp/data/webname/news/nam2.txt
King Charles III Shares Support for Kate Middleton Amid Their Respective Cancer Diagnoses
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 07:18:00
King Charles III is standing by Kate Middleton amid their respective cancer diagnoses.
Shortly after the Princess of Wales shared that she had been diagnosed with an unspecified form of cancer and is in the early stages of chemotherapy treatment, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said His Majesty is "so proud of Catherine for her courage in speaking as she did."
In fact, Charles has "remained in the closest contact with his beloved daughter-in-law throughout the past weeks," the rep told NBC News, adding that both the King and his wife Queen Camilla "will continue to offer their love and support to the whole family through this difficult time."
News of Kate's cancer diagnosis comes nearly two months after Charles, 75, went public with news that he had been diagnosed with a form of the disease.
"During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted," Buckingham Palace shared in a Feb. 5 statement. "Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer. His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties."
The Palace said Charles was "grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
"His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation," the statement added, "and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer."
Likewise, one of the reasons Kate—who is now undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy—opened up about her own diagnosis was to help others affected by the illness to feel "not alone."
"For everyone facing this disease," she said in a video statement March 22, "in whatever form, please do not lose faith or hope."
Kate added that she has been leaning on family, including husband Prince William and their kids Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8 and Prince Louis, 5.
"As I have said to them; I am well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind, body and spirits," the 42-year-old shared. "Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance, too."
Kate added, "We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment. My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery."
For more royal news, keep reading.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (979)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick's Son James Wilkie Shares Rare Photo of Family in Paris
- Skunks are driving a rabies spike in Minnesota, report says
- Maren Morris says 'nothing really scares me anymore' after public feuds, divorce
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- A Tennessee sheriff’s deputy killed a man who entered a jail after firing shots in the parking lot
- U.S. employers likely added 175,000 jobs in July as labor market cools gradually
- Scammers are taking to the skies, posing as airline customer service agents
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- USA beach volleyball's perfect top tandem braves storm, delay, shows out for LeBron James
Ranking
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Katie Ledecky makes more Olympic history and has another major milestone in her sights
- Son of Kentucky dentist charged in year-old killing; dentist charged with hiding evidence
- Which NFL playoff teams could miss cut in 2024 season? Ranking all 14 on chances of fall
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Golfer Tommy Fleetwood plays at Olympics with heavy heart after tragedy in hometown
- Increasing wind and heat plus risk of thunderstorms expected in fight against California wildfire
- The Chesapeake Bay Bridge was briefly closed when a nearby ship had a steering problem
Recommendation
Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
Airline passenger gets 19-month sentence. US says he tried to enter cockpit and open an exit door
AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Michigan’s state primaries
Surviving the inferno: How the Maui fire reshaped one family's story
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Authorities are investigating after a man died in police custody on Long Island
Video shows explosion at Florida laundromat that injured 4; witness reported smelling gas
Thousands were arrested at college protests. For students, the fallout was only beginning