Current:Home > NewsSouth Africa’s du Plessis retains middleweight UFC title -文件: temp/data/webname/news/nam2.txt
South Africa’s du Plessis retains middleweight UFC title
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 07:29:21
PERTH, Australia (AP) — South African Dricus du Plessis took a flurry of body hits across four rounds before defeating Israel Adesanya by submission to retain his middleweight championship at UFC 305 on Sunday.
After scoring some early takedowns, du Plessis (22-2) had to withstand a flurry of body strikes from Adesanya through the middle rounds which appeared to be taking a toll on the 30-year-old South African as the fight progressed.
But a left hook followed by three rights helped bring Adesanya down which gave du Plessis the opening he wanted as he swiftly got the choke hold which forced the Nigerian-born New Zealander to tap out at 3:38 into the fourth round.
“This man is the king of getting back up,” du Plessis said of Adesanya, who was bidding to become a middleweight champion for the third time. “I’m still alive, that’s a bonus.
“I came here to die for this belt and to take a life. I’m still champion, baby.”
Tensions ahead of Sunday’s fight at the sold out RAC Arena at Perth, Australia had escalated after du Plessis, in response to Adesanya saying he’d take the belt back to Africa if he won, asked whether he would take his servants with him.
Despite the simmering animosity heading into the fight, which saw both fighters refrain from touching each others gloves at the start, the pair appeared to reconcile immediately after the contest.
“I’m really sorry that it came across that I disrespected the fact that he’s from Africa,” Du Plessis said. “That was never my intention. Africa would have won regardless, but tonight South Africa was the victor.”
It was the third time the South African has beat off challengers for the competitve middleweight division and second time this year after he won with a split decision over Sean Strickland in January at UFC 297.
Next in line for du Plessis is a return title-defense bout with Strickland at a date to be determined.
The 35-year-old Adesanya (24-4) was making his first appearance since returning from an 11-month sabbatical after losing the middleweight title by unanimous decision to Strickland in Sydney in September last year but said Sunday’s latest setback wasn’t career-ending.
“This is the best I’ve ever felt. I’m 35, I’m doing the right things. I’m not ... leaving,” he said.
Earlier, hometown favorite Steve Erceg’s was defeated by a first-round technical knock out in his flyweight bout with New Zealand’s Kai Kara-France. It was Erceg’s first fight since he was unanimously outpointed by champion Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301 in Brazil in May.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (9229)
Related
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- 2 members of expelled ‘Tennessee Three’ vie to win back their legislative seats
- Kyle Richards’ Amazon Finds Include a Pick From an Iconic Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Moment
- Active shooter scare on Capitol Hill was a false alarm, police say
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- US Rep. Dan Bishop announces a run for North Carolina attorney general
- Who are the co-conspirators in the Trump Jan. 6 indictment?
- Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds and More Stars Donate $1 Million to Striking Actors Fund
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Drexel University mourns death of men's basketball player, Terrence Butler
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Calling all influencers! Get paid $100k to make content for pizza delivery app, Slice
- A finalized budget may be on the horizon with the state Senate returning to the Pennsylvania Capitol
- Donna Mills on the best moment of my entire life
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Woman Breaks Free From Alleged Oregon Kidnapper’s Cinder Block Cell With Bloody Hands
- NTSB: Pilot’s medical clearance had been renewed a month before crash landing
- Horoscopes Today, August 2, 2023
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Hall of Fame Game: How to watch, stream Browns vs. Jets, date, time, odds
Lizzo says she’s ‘not the villain’ after her former dancers claim sex harassment
George Clooney, Meryl Streep among stars giving $1M to help struggling actors amid strike
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Christina Aguilera Makes a Convincing Case to Wear a Purse as a Skirt
Texas man ticketed for feeding the homeless outside Houston library is found not guilty
Father drowns to death while saving his 3 kids from river