Current:Home > StocksLebanese security forces detain man suspected of shooting outside US embassy -文件: temp/data/webname/news/nam2.txt
Lebanese security forces detain man suspected of shooting outside US embassy
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:30:27
BEIRUT (AP) — Lebanese security forces have detained a man suspected of being behind last week’s shooting outside the U.S.-embassy north of Beirut in which no one was hurt, police said Monday.
The Internal Security Forces said in a statement that they have detained a Lebanese citizen born in 1997 in a suburb of Beirut. They identified the suspect only by the initials MK.
Authorities said the suspect confessed to carrying out the shooting. The weapon used has been confiscated and the suspect is being questioned.
U.S. embassy spokesperson Jake Nelson said: “We are grateful for the speedy and thorough investigation by the local authorities.”
Shots were fired Wednesday night near the entrance to the embassy compound in Aukar, a northern suburb of Beirut. No one claimed responsibility for the shooting and the motives behind it were not known.
After the shooting, the Lebanese army launched an investigation, which included analyzing security camera footage from the area.
Lebanon has a long history of attacks against Americans.
The deadliest of the attacks occurred in October 1983, when a suicide truck bomber drove into a four-story building, killing 241 American service members at the U.S. Marine barracks at the Beirut airport.
Earlier that year, on April 18, 1983, a bombing attack on the U.S. Embassy in Beirut killed 63 people, including at least 17 Americans. Top CIA officials were among those who died. U.S. officials blamed the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
After that attack, the embassy was moved from central Beirut to the Christian suburb of Aukar, north of the Lebanese capital.
On Sept. 20, 1984, a suicide bomber struck the embassy compound in Aukar, killing himself and 14 others, prompting the embassy to close.
The United States withdrew all diplomats from Beirut in September 1989 and did not reopen its embassy until 1991.
In 2008, an explosion targeted a U.S. Embassy vehicle in northern Beirut, killing at least three Lebanese who happened to be near the car and wounding its Lebanese driver. An American passerby was also wounded.
In 1976, U.S. Ambassador Francis E. Meloy Jr. and an aide, Robert O. Waring, were abducted and killed in Beirut. In 1984, William Buckley, the CIA station chief in Beirut, was abducted and killed by the Iran-backed Islamic Jihad group.
veryGood! (72539)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- New Jersey teen sues classmate for allegedly creating, sharing fake AI nudes
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in the latest Pennsylvania House special election
- How to defend against food poisoning at your Super Bowl party
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Flu hangs on in US, fading in some areas and intensifying in others
- Deion Sanders adds NFL heft to coaching staff at Colorado
- Queen Camilla Gives Update on King Charles III After His Cancer Diagnosis
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Pakistan's 2024 election takes place amid deadly violence and allegations of electoral misconduct
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Girlfriend of Illinois shooting suspect pleads not guilty to obstruction
- Deion Sanders adds NFL heft to coaching staff at Colorado
- Struggling With Dry, Damaged & Frizzy Hair? Get Healthy, Hydrated Locks With These Top Products
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Stowaway scorpion makes its way from Kenya to Ireland in woman's bag
- New Jersey teen sues classmate for allegedly creating, sharing fake AI nudes
- Vanessa Bryant Attends Kobe Bryant Statue Unveiling With Daughters Natalia, Bianka and Capri
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Two states' top election officials talk about threats arising from election denialism — on The Takeout
LA Dodgers embrace insane expectations, 'target on our back' as spring training begins
What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and reading
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Climate change turns an idyllic California community into a 'perilous paradise'
Feds offer up to $10 million reward for info on Hive ransomware hackers
Prince Harry Makes Surprise Appearance at NFL Honors After Visit With King Charles III