Current:Home > InvestMan sentenced to life plus 30 years in 2018 California spa bombing that killed his ex-girlfriend -文件: temp/data/webname/news/nam2.txt
Man sentenced to life plus 30 years in 2018 California spa bombing that killed his ex-girlfriend
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:57:14
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Southern California man was sentenced Friday to two concurrent life sentences, plus 30 years, for blowing up his ex-girlfriend’s spa business with a package bomb in 2018, killing her and seriously injuring two others.
Friday’s hearing concluded a case against Stephen Beal that was fraught with missteps for investigators and prosecutors since the May 15, 2018 bombing in an Aliso Viejo spa, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Los Angeles.
“Mr. Beal will never be able to get out to harm innocent victims again,” said E. Martin Estrada, the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, at a news conference after the sentencing.
Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said Beal maintained his innocence during Friday’s hearing.
“I could not think of anything more insulting,” Barnes said during a news conference after the sentencing.
Ildiko Krajnyak, 48, was killed in the fiery blast when she opened a box with a homemade bomb inside that Beal had slipped into the spa while she was in Hungary visiting family. Two clients she had just treated — a mother and daughter — were knocked off their feet. The blast destroyed the business and tore a large hunk from the building. Body parts were found in the parking lot.
Beal, a partner in the business, was jealous Krajnyak had been dating someone else after their 18-month relationship ended, prosecutors said.
Beal was arrested shortly after the explosion on a single charge of possessing an unregistered destructive device but was never officially named as a suspect in the blast in the days that followed. The charge was dropped after prosecutors questioned whether material found at his Long Beach home constituted a “destructive device.” Beal claimed that explosive material found at his house was for his model rockets.
He was free for nearly 10 months before being re-arrested following a painstaking analysis of the evidence.
Beal’s first trial in 2022 ultimately ended in a mistrial after the federal jury deadlocked. He was retried in 2023 and the second jury convicted him of four felonies including the use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death.
Beal also was found guilty of malicious destruction of a building resulting in death, use of a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence, and possession of an unregistered destructive device.
Beal’s federal public defender, Craig Harbaugh, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Missouri high school teacher is put on leave after school officials discover her page on porn site
- 'Wait Wait' for September 30, 2023: Live in LA with Bob and Erin Odenkirk!
- Europe sweeps USA in Friday morning foursomes at 2023 Ryder Cup
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- College football Week 5: The 7 best matchups to watch this weekend
- Man tied to suspected shooter in Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing arrested in Las Vegas, AP sources say
- People's Choice Country Awards moments: Jelly Roll dominates, Toby Keith returns to the stage
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Say goodbye to the pandas: All black-and-white bears on US soil set to return to China
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- New York City flooding allows sea lion to briefly escape Central Park Zoo pool
- New York stunned and swamped by record-breaking rainfall as more downpours are expected
- The police chief who led a raid of a small Kansas newspaper has been suspended
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Backers of North Dakota congressional age limits sue over out-of-state petitioner ban
- Shapiro Advisors Endorse Emissions Curbs to Fight Climate Change but Don’t Embrace RGGI Membership
- Hasan Minhaj and the limits of representation
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Chicago agency finds no wrongdoing in probe of officers’ alleged sex misconduct with migrants
A 'modern masterpiece' paints pandemic chaos on cloth made of fig-tree bark
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Granted Early Release From Prison Amid Sentence for Mom's Murder
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
House rejects McCarthy-backed bill to avoid government shutdown as deadline nears
A Bernalillo County corrections officer is accused of bringing drugs into the jail
Thousands of cantaloupes sold in 19 states and DC recalled after potential salmonella link